I just thought I’d throw this question out there by way of a short post.
Do any of you have a “bucket list” of trails or parks you’d like to hike in at least once during your life?
I really don’t have a list put together at the moment, truth be told, but if I did have a formal list, it would include the Appalachian Trail, the West Highland Way in Scotland, and the entire Bright Angel Trail in the Grand Canyon. (And one of these days, I do need to get around to taking on the Giant Stairs in the Palisades.)
What do you think? Do you keep a bucket list, or do you just prefer to take the trails as you find them?
If you display any of these signs – plus a few not mentioned here because I’m trying to keep the list down to 10 – you just might be a hiker.
- Your list of “in case of emergency, please contact” numbers includes your hikers’ group.
- Your favorite eau-de-toilette (or perfume or cologne) is Deep Woods Off.
- If you have to use the restroom, you tell people, “I have to step off the trail.”
- Your idea of formal wear includes cargo pants, and the dominant fabric in your wardrobe is Gore-Tex.
- Your heart rate goes up when you’re reading the latest REI catalog.
- You can talk for hours about magnetic declination and boxing a compass.
- You’ve ever taken a selfie by a canoe in the L.L. Bean store in Freeport.
- John Muir and Mary Jane Colter are your patron saints.
- You have enough moleskin, Ace bandages and Benadryl to stock a hospital.
- You think that the annual Easter egg hunt would be a lot more fun if it involved geocaching.